Τρίτη 6 Οκτωβρίου 2015

Word of the day

Smoke

Idioms

There's no smoke without a fire

  • there is usually some truth behind every rumor -  I'm going to withdraw all my money from that bank. I read an article that the bank was in financial trouble, andwhere there's smoke there's fire.
go up in smoke
  • to burn up completely - The entire forest went up in smoke! The expensive house went up in smoke.
  • to be lost suddenly and completely (for value or investment)- Everything we own has gone up in smoke with the stock crash. The entire investment went up in smoke.
put that in your pipe and smoke it!
  • It is final, and you have to live with it. -  Well, I'm not going to do what you want, so put that in your pipe and smoke it! I'm sick of you,and I'm leaving. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
blow smoke
  • to state something in a way that conceals the truth. -She is a master at blowing smoke. She belongs in government.


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου